History of Our Congregation

In October 2019 Chiswell Green and Bricket Wood United Reformed Churches amalgamated to form Greenwood United Reformed Church and now continue to worship at the Watford Road site in Chiswell Green.   Our aim is to continue to provide the centre for Christian worship and community service that has been so valuable to both villages in previous decades, as our individual histories show.  

In 1884 the church in Spicer Street, St. Albans, decided to set up a mission room in Bricket Wood. Eleven years later in 1895 a chapel was opened in Station Road, Bricket Wood. This was in constant use until 1966, when it was decided that a more central position for the church, in the rapidly expanding Bricket Wood, would be sensible. Since the site on the corner of West Riding and Ashridge Drive was already owned by the church for the Sunday School, a hall was built and opened in 1966 with the dual function of church and hall. Then in 1974 the church itself was added. Right from 1884 the church always had a flourishing Sunday school, various women’s groups and social events. However, from the 1980s onwards the membership gradually declined and the Sunday school vanished. In 2018 it was decided that the church was no longer viable and it was agreed that it would merge with Chiswell Green URC to become Greenwood URC.

The origins of Chiswell Green URC are to be found in the early 1950’s decision of Trinity Congregational Church, St Albans, to take part in the post-war development of new churches on the outskirts of the city. As a result the first service was held at Killigrew School on the afternoon of Sunday 8 September 1957. By 1962 the church had its own hall on the present site in which to hold its services and provide a meeting place for local community organisations. In 1965 Chiswell Green Congregational Church was formally constituted independent of Trinity, with 35 members. In 1971 the current church building was opened and, in 1973, following the national union of the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches of England and Wales, the church was re-named Chiswell Green United Reformed Church.

 


This church website is powered by Church Edit | Privacy Notice